With pregnancy fatigue (and morning sickness) and a tight budget, we’ve embraced a season of cheap, quick, and easy meals. This Sausage Rice Skillet has become a weekly staple that (almost) everyone enjoys. We do have that one child who picks around the veggies.
It may seem difficult at times to create healthy meals on budget and time constraints (especially for a large family), but it’s not impossible. I like that I can create a complete meal with protein, starch, and veggies all in one pan. It will get a little more expensive if you use all organic ingredients, so we don’t. On the other hand, if you make your own chicken broth, you can make it even more cheaply!
Here’s the recipe! Pictures of the process do follow if you’re interested in them.
Quick and Easy Sausage Rice Skillet
- 1 lb Mild Italian Sausage You can use Hot Italian Sausage for more flavor
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Stalk Celery Diced
- 1/2 Large White Onion Diced
- 1 Cup Rice I prefer Jasmine
- 2 – 2 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Salt Or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Or to taste
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1. In large skillet, Brown Sausage over Med/High Heat2. Once Sausage has started to brown add in your Vegetables and saute them in the fat as the sausage continues to brown.3. Once the veggies are tender and the sausage is fully cooked, stir in your Rice. 4. Continue stirring and allow to cook with the meat and veggies for about a minute.5. Stir in your Chicken Broth, Italian Seasoning, Salt, and Pepper and allow to come to a Boil.6. Turn your burner down to low, give a final stir, and cover with a lid. 7. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.8. Remove lid and stir, then replace the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
I hope your family enjoys this meal as much as mine does!
Did you like this post? Don’t forget to pin it!